Current protocols for the Congress include:
The 23rd World Petroleum Congress in Houston is proceeding in-person as planned, December 5-9. World Health Organization and Center for Disease Control Covid protocols are in place to ensure a safe and successful event. The limited travel restrictions may have an impact on some attendees but registration numbers continue to rise and early indication from sponsors, exhibitors, and global stakeholders continues to be positive. We are monitoring the situation closely and will make adjustments as needed.
In order to pick up your delegate or guest badge for entry into the event everyone will be required to show proof of identification PLUS one of the following:
- A valid COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card. This could be either the original paper card, a paper copy, a photo stored on your smartphone or in an app. To see which vaccines are accepted to be considered fully vaccinated, click here.
- Lateral flow or PCR negative test results text or e-mail received within 72 hours prior to attending the event.
- Proof of immunity shown by a positive PCR test result for COVID-19, lasting for 180 days from the date of the positive test and following completion of the self-isolation period.
The CDC recommends masks be worn inside at public locations and masks will be provided free of charge. Masks will be required in some areas of the Congress but are encouraged throughout the facility.
The George R. Brown Convention Center is GBAC STAR™ ACCREDITED. GBAC STAR™ is the cleaning industry’s only outbreak prevention, response & recovery accreditation.
- All building entrances feature sliding glass doors for touchless entry
- Permanent door stops have been installed throughout the facility
- More than 50 hand sanitizing stations have been conveniently placed throughout the building
- All hand dryers have been replaced with Excel Dryer XL-SBH XLERATOR Hand Dryers with HEPA Filtration. This allows hygienic hand-drying with 99.99% removal of viruses from the airstream
- Touchless technology has been introduced where feasible to mitigate germ transfer
- All escalators are equipped with UV-C sanitizer to consistently disinfect handrails
- Event and commonly used areas are sprayed with electrostatic sprayers containing hospital-grade disinfectants
- A “Catch and Kill” Biodefense Air-Filtration System has been installed in the General Assembly Theater
- A control system allows emergency override of all damper positions to 100% clean
- The venue provides rigorous cleaning on all high-touch surfaces and in high-traffic areas
We continue to diligently monitor the latest guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), and state and local governments, and will adapt our protocols as new information and recommended best practices become available.
PCR Testing Onsite
The 23rd WPC will have PCR testing onsite on the second floor of the GRB in room 216 being done by Houston Concierge Medicine and Wellness Centre (HCM). Testing will be available by appointment only Tuesday, December 7 and Wednesday, December 8. To make an appointment in advance, click below. You can only currently schedule by day, not by time.
Make an Appointment
The test costs $175 and is paid by the delegate directly to HCM. The results should be back by noon the following day.
PCR Testing Offsite
Delegates looking for additional PCR testing offsite can visit the following locations in the surrounding downtown area.
Free, Fast, Safe COVID-19 Testing Sites – City of Houston Emergency Operations Center
Google Map of HHD Affiliated testing sites
If you have received all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that has been authorized or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or is listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (WHO), then you are considered to be fully vaccinated. This currently includes the following vaccines: